Egmont Honey, Plum & Buckwheat Pancakes
There is nothing quite like pancakes for breakfast, and better yet is when they are light and fluffy and full of healthy fats and nutrients. These pancakes tick all the boxes and when topped with yoghurt and seasonal fruit they are good enough to get you up and moving in the morning!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons Egmont Honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buckwheat
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 500g roughly chopped plums
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Yoghurt to serve
- Extra honey to serve
1. Pour the milk into a bowl and add in the lemon juice.
2. Stir then leave to sit for 5 minutes. Adding the lemon juice to the milk causes it to curdle, mimicking buttermilk. When mixed with baking soda this buttermilk creates lots of air bubbles and hence makes beautifully light and fluffy pancakes.
3. Put the butter and the honey into a small saucepan or frying pan and melt.
4. Crack the eggs into the buttermilk and whisk until combined before adding the melted butter and whisking again.
5. Lastly add the flours and baking soda and mix until just combined. You will see all the bubbles forming at this point.
6. Heat a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a high heat. Once hot, turn down and add a little butter - once melted spoon in roughly a quarter of a cup of batter and cook until bubbles start popping on the top of the pancake.
7. Flip and cook for a further minute or two. Repeat with the remaining mixture keeping the pancakes warm in a low oven as you go.
8. While the pancakes are cooking, put the plum and sugar into a pot, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until thick.
9. Divide the pancakes between 4 plates, top with yoghurt, plum and then lastly honey, and serve immediately.