Egmont Honey – Honey and Blueberry cupcakes
Looking to impress? These cupcakes are the perfect sweet treat for entertaining or to make at home when you are in need of a 3pm pick me up.
150g unsalted butter melted
1/2 x cup sugar
1 x cup all-purpose flour
2 x teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup Egmont honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 x cup frozen blueberries
For the Honey Frosting:
¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar
1 tablespoon Egmont honey
1 drop of blue and pink food colouring to make purple
1/2 tbsp baking soda
¾ cup caster sugar
1/4 cup honey
Pinch of salt
Freeze dries blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl mix together the flour and sugar.
- In a cup, add 2 x eggs, melted butter and top the rest with milk until the cup if full. Pour into dry ingredients along with the honey and mix together.
- Once mixed add the salt, baking powder, vanilla and mix loosely.
- Scoop the mixture into the cupcake liners about 1/2 full then add in a few blueberries to each case.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for 5 minutes, then pop on a wire rack to finish cooling.
Make the Honey Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat butter until it becomes creamy.
- Sift the sugar and gradually add the icing sugar and continue to mix scraping down sides of bowl as needed with a hand whisk. Mix in honey then food colouring until icing is stiff enough to make a peak.
- Place the icing in a piping bag and decorate.
- Top with honeycomb and freeze-dried blueberries.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof/baking paper.
- Sift the bicarbonate of soda.
- In a large pot, heat the sugar, honey and salt until the mixture reaches about 145c stirring it with a spatula to ensure even caramelisation. The mixture will turn a deep golden colour.
- When golden, turn off the heat and immediately mix in the bicarbonate of soda. The mixture will bubble/foam quite a bit. Continue stirring the mixture until the bicarbonate of soda is completely dissolved.
- Pour the honeycomb mixture onto the prepared baking tray. Once cooled, break apart and add to cupcake topping.