Egmont Honey – Christmas Ham
There is nothing better than honey glazed ham at Christmas. Sweet, savoury and bursting with flavour, this is a family favourite.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cooking time – 2+ hours
1 x bone-in or boneless fully cooked ham
1/3 cup pineapple juice
2 x oranges
1 x cup Egmont honey
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup whole cloves
2 x garlic cloves sliced
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
Salt and Pepper
- Set the ham aside to rest at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Line a baking tray or dish with several sheets of aluminium foil as it will help with the cleaning up.
- Remove the rind or skin of the ham but leave the fat on as this will hold moisture.
- Using a sharp knife score a 1-inch-wide diamond pattern over the full ham and insert the cloves into each groove.
- Place the ham in the baking tray; pour the pineapple juice over the ham and bake for an initial 15 minutes at 150 degrees.
- While the ham is cooking, melt butter in a pan until golden. Add in the honey, mustard, sliced garlic cloves, ½ an orange squeezed and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, increase the oven temp to 220 degrees and pour 1/3 of the glaze all over the ham, brushing in between the cuts to evenly cover. Place some of the garlic in the groves along with the cloves and sliced oranges over and around the ham.
- Repeat the glazing process twice more every 15 minutes until a dark golden-brown crust has formed.
- Let the ham bake for 30 minutes and then turn on the grill and broil the ham for 5 minutes to finish it with a sticky glaze.
- Let the ham rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.